Residential Tenancies And Rooming Accommodation Ac<< Back to Blog
A new Act that changes some of the rules for renting houses, units, townhouses, caravans & other moveable dwellings starts on 1st July 2009 The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 combines & updates the existing laws that cover renting your home. The new Act was the result of an extensive review of the current laws which involved collaboration between government and key industry representatives & stakeholders. Some of the key changes are:
• Prohibiting rent bidding
• Restricting rent increases to only 2 per year
• Increasing notice periods from 2 weeks to 2 months for ‘without grounds’ terminations & rent increases
• Additional grounds for entry for lessors
• Extending coverage to most forms of rooming accommodation
• New provisions around sale of rental properties Our office is busily implementing changes to our office systems & procedures to ensure that you comply with these new laws.